Kahilipara Fire | Lost everything we had, families say


Families whose houses were gutted in the fire at Sweepers’ Colony in Kahilipara locality of Guwahati are now devastated after having lost everything they had in the blaze that broke out around 8:30 pm yesterday (Nov 6) amid Kali Puja and Diwali celebrations.

The fire, that is believed to have been sparked either due to bursting of fire crackers or following an electrical short-circuit, gutted a dozen houses and reduced to ash property worth several lakh of rupees.


“The fire broke out around 8:30 pm in the evening and soon engulfed the area. It spread instantly and reduced our houses (rooms separated by bamboo walls) to ash. We could not save anything. Everything from money to cloths and even gold ornaments were gutted in the fire,” a woman who lost her belongings in the fire told News Live.


The narrow lanes hampered fire fighting since only a single fire engine could make it to the locality where the blaze broke out.

The fire reportedly reduced to ash several two-wheelers and a car as the flames engulfed the area within seconds. Five-six LPG cylinders also exploded that led to the inferno engulfing other houses.