Guwahati: Fire guts two popular restaurants near Nemcare Hospital, doused


GUWAHATI, Dec 26: A massive fire broke out near Nemcare Hospital in Bhangagarh area of Guwahati this afternoon. The fire first took place at a restaurant named ‘Ujjwal Restaurant’ and spread to another restaurant ‘Gunjan Sweets’. Though it was primarily assumed that the inferno started due to an electric short circuit, explosion of several cooking gas cylinders was also heard.

The blaze completely reduced the two restaurants into ashes, besides threatening to engulf the adjacent hospital building.

 “It is suspected that the fire broke out due to an electric short circuit which led to the explosions of several LPG cylinders which were stored in the restaurants,” said an eyewitness.

“It was really a very scary experience,” another person said.   

As the fire soon started to spread to nearby areas, it created panic among people, including patients, attendants and employees of Nemcare Hospital.

“We suddenly noticed massive clouds of smoke emerging from the restaurant. The sight was frightening,” said an attendant of a patient.

Meanwhile, fire tender vehicles arrived at the spot and brought the fire under control.

Although no human lives were lost, neither did anyone suffer any injuries, property worth several lakhs was gutted by the fire.