GUWAHATI, Aug 23: The death toll in the under-construction railway bridge collapsed in Mizoram’s Aizawl rose to 23 amid fears that the toll could mount further with many people, most of them workers engaged in construction work, believed to be trapped under the debris.
The mishap took place around 10 am in Sairang area, about 20 km from Aizawl.
“Eighteen bodies have so far been recovered from the debris while at least five more are still missing,” a police officer said.
There were reportedly 28 workers at the site along with two engineers, reports said, when the girder of the bridge collapsed.
A high level enquiry committee has also been constituted to investigate the matter.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences regarding the tragic mishap and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh from PMNRF to the next of kin of the deceased while Rs 50,000 would be given to the injured.
Mirozam CM also expressed his deepest condolences to all the bereaved families.