Sualkuchi fire: Three of a family die of asphyxiation


In a very tragic incident, three members of a family — including an 18-month minor — were suffocated to death while three others of the same family are battling for their lives after a devastating fire broke out at the ground floor of their multi-storeyed building at SM Road in Sualkuchi in Kamrup district. The fire broke out in the wee hours of Wednesday (Aug 22) at the ground floor of Achyut Plaza and the smoke emanating from the fire suffocated Lohit Kakoty, the owner of the building, and his family.

While Lohit Kakoty, his eldest daughter Kabita Mahanta (32) and Kabita’s 18-month-old son Mayun Deb Mahanta died of asphyxiation, his wife Anupama Kakoty, younger daughter Juri Bharali (28) and grandson (Juri’s son) Parthiv Paresh Bharali are battling for their lives in a private nursing home in Guwahati.

Initial investigations suggest that the fire broke out at a cloth store in the ground floor due to a short-circuit while smoke choked Lohit Kakoty’s family who lived in the third floor of the building.