Guwahati: In order to break the chain of the virus in the state, following a review meeting on Saturday, the Meghalaya government has decided to extended the lockdown in East Khasi Hills district till May 17, which includes state capital Shillong.
Earlier, the state government on May 1 had imposed containment measures in East Khasi Hills which was later turned into a lockdown from May 5.
Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong while expressing concern over the increasing trend in Covid cases said these are difficult times for the state and appealed to people to maintain protocols.
Meanwhile, the government has allowed some restrictions to be lifted during this lockdown even as it was decided that the Class XII exams will be postponed further.
However, Essential Commodities’ shops in localities regulated by the Dorbar Shnong will be open with strict adherence to SOPs.
Besides, banks and post offices will be allowed to function with limited employees and Home Delivery of goods will continue.
List of restrictions that will be lifted:
- Essential Commodities’ shops in localities regulated by the Dorbar Shnong will be open with strict adherence to SOPs.
- Class XII examinations will be further postponed. Education Department will issue the notification.
- Weekend lockdown which was imposed last night will continue throughout the State. From 10 PM (Friday) till 5 AM (Monday).
- Banks and Post Offices will be allowed o function with limited employees.
- Home Delivery will continue.
- Construction sites where employees stay within the premises will be allowed to function in the respective premises. Contractors to ensure that no labourers move out of the construction premises.
- MGNREGS activities will be permitted throughout the state.
- Farming activities will be permitted throughout the State with strict adherence to protocols by the Health Department.
- The 1971 iTeams and Nari have been reactivated to coordinate with local farmers/ traders for the transportation of agriculture produce.
Meghalaya registered 375 new cases in the last 24 hours taking the number of active cases in East Khasi Hills to 1,583.