Aizawl: Mizoram’s field hockey player Lalremsiami has created history by becoming the first female sportsperson from the state to have booked a berth at the Olympics. Lalremsiami is part of the Indian women’s hockey contingent and will be playing as a forward at the Tokyo Summer Olympics 2020.
Here’s Lalremsiami’s short bio:
- Indian professional field hockey player who plays Forward
- Lalremsiami hails from Mizoram and her parents are agriculturists
- Plays for Sports Authority of India at the club level
- Earlier, Lalremsiami was part of the 18-member squad that represented India at the 2018 World Cup. She was India’s youngest player at the age of 18
- She became the first sportsperson from Mizoram to win an Asian medal after she won silver.
- Represented India in Asian Champions Trophy and Asian Games
- Her teammates call her ‘Siami’
- At the age of 11, Lalremsiami was selected to join a hockey academy run by the government of Mizoram
- 21-year-old Lalremisami’s achievement has brought back the spotlight to Mizoram where 25 years ago, archer C Lalremsanga represented India in the Olympics.
- Date of Birth: 30 March, 2000