Guwahati: Team India has been dominant throughout the first day of the ongoing second Test against England which is being held at Lord’s. The Kohli-led side has ended the first day with a score of 276-3. Opener KL Rahul, who missed scoring a ton in the first test, made no mistake and achieved the feat in this test. It became more memorable as he scored it in the Mecca of Cricket.
Right from ball one, Rahul showed exceptional patience and displayed brilliant stroke play. He was playing it slow when his opening partner Rohit Sharma was putting a stunning show on the other side. When the latter got out, Rahul shifted the gears and took the driver’s seat. In the process, he scored his sixth Test century. Rahul made several records with this ton.
- He is now the first Indian opener in the last 31 years to score a century at Lord’s. The last Indian opener to achieve the feat was Ravi Shastri, the current head coach.
- Rahul is the third Indian opener, after Vinoo Mankad and Ravi Shastri, to score a century at Lord’s.
- Rahul is the third Indian batsman after Ravi Shastri and Rahul Dravid to score a century at both Lord’s and Oval.
- KL Rahul is the fourth Indian opener to score two 80+ scores in England this century. The other three are Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, and Murali Vijay.
- Rahul also became the first Indian to score a century in the 2021-23 cycle of the ICC World Test Championship.
- Rahul is at the second position on the elite list of “Most Test hundreds for Indian openers outside Asia,” with four centuries. Sunil Gavaskar is in the first position with 15 tons.
By the end of the first day, Rahul and Rahane remained at the crease with respective scores of 127* and 1*.