Delhi Court awards death sentence to Ariz Khan in Batla House Encounter Case


NEW DELHI: A court in Delhi has sentenced death penalty to Ariz Khan in the infamous Batla House encounter case.

Delhi’s Saket Court on Monday awarded the death penalty to alleged Indian Mujahideen terrorist Ariz Khan for his role in killing Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma and injuring Head Constables Balwant Singh and Rajbir Singh.

Terming it the ‘rarest of rare case’ while awarding the death penalty, Additional Sessions Judge Sandeep Yadav also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakhs to be given to deceased Inspector Sharma’s family. On March 18, Khan was held guilty, thirteen years since the encounter, charged under IPC sections 186 (voluntarily obstructs any public servant), 333 (causes grievous hurt to public servant), 353 (uses criminal force on public servant), 302 (murder), 307 (intention to murder), 174A (non-appearance in court) and 34 of IPC and 27 of arms act (use of contravention).

On 13 September 2008, five serial bomb blasts had rocked the national capital killing 30 and injuring 90, with similar blasts occurring in Jaipur, Ahmedabad, and Bangalore. Indian Mujahideen had reportedly taken responsibility for the blast, ten minutes after the first bomb blast in Delhi’s Ghaffar Market.

A week later, Delhi police received intelligence from Gujarat police regarding the location of Mujahideen operatives in Delhi, which led to an armed raid at Batla House on 19 September 2008.

As per reports, the Delhi Police Special Cell team reached Delhi’s Batla House in Jamia Nagar and surrounded the location. The police planned to send its lead officer Mohan Chand Sharma to extract details of the residents posing as a telecom consultant, as his team would secure the sole entry/exit gate and the back lane of the house, state reports. But, when Sharma approached the flat, bereft of his bullet-proof vest, a 20-minute encounter followed with several rounds being fired from both sides.

In the encounter – two Batla House occupants were killed – Mohammad Sajid and Atif Amin, while Shahzad and Junaid (a.k.a) escaped and Mohammad Saif was arrested. Moreover, Encounter specialist Mohan Chand Sharma was martyred and head constables Balwinder and Rajbir Singh were injured.

Read more:

Read more: