Assamese boy recounts 40 days in China’s Wuhan province


GUWAHATI: Gaurav Nath from Aulachowka in Darrang district is studying at Wuhan University of Science and Technology in China. The student arrived in Assam on March 15. Here is his firsthand account in Wuhan province, the epicentre of COVID-19 that claimed thousands of lives across the globe.

“I am studying Master of Science (MS) at Wuhan University of Science and Technology located in Qingshan district under Wuhan province in China.

When Coronavirus broke out in Wuhan, I along with two other students from Uttarakhand was stuck at home for nearly 40 days. Chinese people took much care of Indians than their local people. We were provided with food and sanitizer. We as junior research fellows did research on Coronavirus at nearby laboratories and talked to many people from the microbiology department of our university.

I think the endeavour of many Chinese and foreign students for nearly 40 students is gradually giving positive results. On a special Indian flight, we landed at Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi on  February 26. We were rushed to a medical and screening centre of Indo-Tibet Border Police (ITBP).

Our blood tests were done there every day. Blood tests were done twice on March 14 and released when the results came out as negative. We were tested twice in China. China allowed us to travel on flight when we tested negative with Coronavirus. Otherwise, they would have treated us in China. I am grateful to the government of China and India.

I have been imparting education to Chinese students online from February 26 and also continuing my research. Coronavirus is almost under control in China and we have been asked to attend University in April. My two friends from Uttarakhand will probably join the laboratories from March 26. I am also intending to go to China soon.”

However, according to Nath, after his arrival in Assam, he has been facing harassment regarding his stay in Wuhan and the disease.

“I arrived in Guwahati on March 15 evening and moved to Mangaldoi. A group of doctors led by Dr. Bijit Saharia from Mangaldoi Civil Hospital came to our residence in the night and left without conducting tests or screening. But after that, I am being harassed as I have been receiving numerous phone calls. Rumours are being spread about me on Social Media. Even on the Whatsapp group of doctors, it was spread that I was being home quarantined. Some people are posting messages that I had fled from China. Therefore, I am unable to go out of home now. These are fake information.

See my certificates, photographs at ITBP camp; see the reports and advisories given by the Chinese government. Is there any mention that I have been infected with Coronavirus? If the doctors themselves make mistakes, what would laymen do? Instead of becoming panic, be careful about Coronavirus. Therefore, I would like to clarify that I am not infected with Coronavirus. I am quite well.  Be aware of Coronavirus. Don’t torture me mentally.”

(As told to ‘Niyomiya Barta’)