GUWAHATI, Dec 11: Massive anti-CAB protests continue to rock Assam as protesters that included a large number of college students marched towards the Assam Secretariat in Guwahati.
Here are the top updates…
- Protesters block NH-37 in Dibrugarh in the morning. Police lathi-charged protesters and then fired tear gas at them after they did not clear the highway. The protesters also clashed with police forcing police to use force on them at Banipur, Bakul and Chaulkhowa.
- Students from various colleges in Guwahati took out protest rallies and ended up marching to the Janata Bhavan in Dispur where they are still staging a massive protest.
- The protesting students were baton-charged by police at many places in the busy GS Road in Guwahati earlier in the afternoon.
- In the midst of the protests, Union Home Minister Amit Shah tabled the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2019 in Rajya Sabha at noon. Voting on the bill will take place after a debate that is underway and is expected to last for six hours.
- Police in Guwahati also used water cannons on protesters at Dispur.
- As protests peaked across Assam, Gauhati University and Dibrugarh University postponed a number of examinations. All examinations that were earlier scheduled till Dec 16 have been postponed by Gauhati University.
- Cine artistes in Assam have also joined the protests today. A number of actors and other artistes of the Assamese movie and music industry extended their support to the protests.
- Protesters have also assembled outside the Deputy Commissioner’s office in Tinsukia raising slogans against the legislation.
- Protesters pelted stones at a fire-tender outside Janata Bhavan in Guwahati.