GUWAHATI: Finance minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma tabled Assam Budget for the 2020-21 financial year today at Assam Legislative Assembly. Donned in traditional Assamese attire (Dhuti, seleng, kurda, chador) he presented his fifth and final budget as the finance minister of Sarbananda Sonowal-led government.
Sarma made many major announcements in his budget speech which will cover every section of the society.
The prudent manner in which budgets have been designed, resources allocated and public expenditure incurred is one mammoth success story emanating from this region in the past 4 years. The GSDP growth is a testimony to this.#AssamBudget2020 @PMOIndia @CMOfficeAssam
— Himanta Biswa Sarma (@himantabiswa) March 6, 2020
The key points from his speech are:
- Responsible financial management.
- Development of public infrastructure.
- With onus on the welfare of women, unemployed youth and farmers the budget aims to cover every section of the society in the path towards development.
- Government to develop the index of health sector.
- Effort to rural and urban development.
- Cultural and social development of the tribes of the state.
- Focus on sustainable development.
- Growth rate from 2016-17 to 2019-20 is 12.38%.
- Spent 67 percent of public expenditure in last financial year which is the highest in the financial history of Assam.
- Government to digitally archive all the budgets since state budget of 1937 presented by Syed Muhammed Saadulah.